Sunday, September 9, 2018

Language

As I was sitting in worship and listening to the scriptures read in German, I was reminded that my great grandparents and even grandparents would have heard and understood this language. I felt a connection with them, even those whom I never knew.  I think of how far I am away from home and how far they traveled to establish a new home and find a new church and a new community.  They were a minority in an.English speaking region and no doubt experienced discrimination because of their strange ways.  If they had not taken the risk of making that journey, I would not exist.
I inherited their Reformed faith but I also made the choice at several different times to remain in the United Church of Christ. Many of my peers in the church did not make that choice.
I also think about my grandmother, Mary Ann Stoppelwerth, who was Roman Catholic her whole life, but married Harry, a member of the German Reformed Church, later UCC and I think of the difficulties of being in a “mixed” marriage in that day.
Being here in Germany has reminded me that God is alive among these people; these new beloved brothers and sisters in Christ.  God still speaks German and English and many other languages.  —James Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment